Tuesday, January 5, 2010

The Year of 198 Books

I read 198 novels, a little non-fiction, and nearly 1,000 recipes in 2009.  If I skip the nonfiction, I may top 200 books in 2010.

The good stories I've read live in my memory, but I have nothing tangible from all that reading.  I don't even keep the books, sharing them with reader friends.  The books I keep are the ones I wouldn't mind people finding on my shelves when packing up the remains of my life.

While cleaning out some boxes of junk from the basement, I found my old college binders.  I kept every paper and every course notebook.  Reading them was like a journey down memory lane.  I remember the day I read Elie Wiesel's Night, and thought the Holocaust made me physically ill; turned out I had the stomach flu.  I remember the first married fight Joe and I ever had; I wrote about it and the film "Casablanca" in an Ethics paper.  I remember the heated abortion debate in my Feminist Philosophy course while deep in my body I felt the flutters of my first child. 

I want tangible records of what I've been reading and thinking and living.  Perhaps one day my sons or my grandchildren will come to know me a little better from my recorded thoughts.

And how much more convenient is a blog than dusty boxes stashed in a basement?

No comments:

Post a Comment