Tuesday, May 25, 2010

The Household Guide to Dying by Debra Adelaide

This book deserves better than what I'm about to give it. 

But, seriously, I've read SO many books and am SO far behind, I'll have to make do.

Delia is a writer.  She's dying of cancer.  She's the mother of three, only two of whom are living.  That's not a spoiler.  I knew LONG before the big revelation that she'd lost a child. 

I liked this book.

I'm not sure why.  The speaker is not a Christian and doesn't care about the afterlife.  She suddenly leaves her family to revisit her past without warning or explanation.  She is far too profane.

And yet, I liked this book.

Delia has been writing "guides" and answer columns her entire professional career, including one entire guide to laundry.  Not only does she find laundry sexy, she finds poetry in keeping her home and in teaching others to do the same.  And let's admit it, housekeepers are a dying breed.

Upon hearing that she's dying of her cancer, she proposes to write The Household Guide to Dying, which is different than proposing a book about the hereafter or about death. 

The Guide is awesome.  The book is awesome.  The result is awesome. 

I liked this book. 

Read it.  If you ever do, and if you ever happen upon this blog, post your thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment